You may not be suprised to discover that there is a chain of small grocery stores in New Zealand stocking UK goods…for a premium price of course.
As a rule, we have tried to just go with local foods wherever we can since we arrived in NZ, with the exception of the previously posted lure of gravy granules!
So, what do you think a UK Grocer would stock?
There are no items with a short shelf life…no perishables. So…here we go…
- UK cereals…like Ready Brek or Weetabix
- Yorkshire Tea
- Walkers Crisps
- Atora suet
- Pot Noodle (I kid you not! Why would you miss these so much?)
- Marmite (even though it is in the main supermarkets)
- Henderson’s Relish (all the way from Sheffield)
- Heinz tinned sponge puddings (we bought two!) and Heinz tinned spaghetti
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner (not common in NZ for some reason)
- Cadbury’s chocolate (they make Cadbury in NZ…but it is not great)
- Hayward’s pickles (I got a jar of piccalilli)
- Sweets (Bassetts, Haribo etc)
I asked the shop assistant how they know what to stock and she said that they basically can’t buy any new UK releases as people over here wouldn’t want to risk spending more on something they may not like. So they go with tried and tested items which have a longer shelf life and are almost in the treat bracket. We won’t be making a regular trip, but if you ever get a hankering for a Toffee Crisp it is good to know where to go!